So, I realize I should have done this in multiple posts, but then I might not get back to finishing it. There are lots of pictures!
When Kev told me a few months ago that he had a work conference in New Orleans in October, I said "I want to go! ". And thats just what I did. This last week Kev, Zac and I had the opportunity to visit the very neat city of New Orleans. Kev didn't get to play as much as I did, but together we had a great trip. I wish I could say I brought back a southern accent because I love them so, but I didn't just some mardi gras beads and pralines for my mom.
Alright so here is our trip in pictures.
My mom was wonderful and came and watched the twins for us. I got to see what it was like to have just one baby. And Zac loved it! We had some great one on one time and he was the BEST traveler.
We arrived in the evening, checked into the Marriot and then headed out to find us some dinner.
We of course had to go check out the infamous Bourbon street. Let me tell you this street is exactly what you hear, loud, crazy, full of entertainment, and people.
This is Kev looking off the balcony at the restaurant we ate at. The later it gets the more "hoppin" the street gets.
Kev eating his first real southern dish. This was some good ol' jambalaya. We also had alligator for an appetizer and I had a po' boy sandwich for dinner. All very good.
How sweet is he? Zac was so tired from the traveling and despite how loud Bourbon street was he decided he had had enough excitement.
So, you have to go there to say you did. But to be honest, I don't need to go down Bourbon street again. After walking it and seeing what it was all about, its not for me. I got the feeling from the locals that they don't really dig Bourbon street either, it is a tourist trap not at all what it use to be. Basically it is a stinky, dirty, full of clubs, with drinking and nudity street.
While Kev went and learned about renal dyalisis, I went shopping of course! Zac and I walked down to Canal Place and enjoyed some lunch and did some looking around. It is a very upscale mall, therefore we did not come home with shopping bags.
When Kev was done for the day, he came up to get us and we went out to explore the French Quarter.
Our hotel was right next to the French Quarter so it was very easy for us to walk everywhere. We didn't need the car we rented. On our walk to find us some dinner we came to the Mississippi River. Beautiful! The river was real low too.
Side Story: So when we came upon the river, we wanted to make sure it was infact the Mississippi so Kev approached this older couple next to us along with their friends another older couple. And come to find out he was the temple president for the Baton Rouge temple. He and his wife had been serving there for the last three years and were showing their daughter in law's parents around who were from Utah. He said he saw us and thought we might be members because our faces had the countenance of Christ in them. That made my heart feel so good! We talked for a few more minutes and enjoyed hearing their thoughts on Lousiania. And they confirmed what Kev had thought the night before, missionaries aren't allowed on Bourbon street and even the whole French Quarter.
I wanted me some Fried Chicken! Kev asked what I wanted for dinner and I said some real southern fried chicken and that is just what we got. Yum! It was delicious. Absolutely worth all the calories I am sure it was.
On our way back we walked along the Mississippi River. It was real quiet and peaceful until I saw a rat scurry across the boardwalk. I hate rats!
Again while Kevin was absorbing all he could learn, I went on a tour to the Laura Plantation. It is a creole plantation. And full of history! It was so cool to hear about the family's memories, lives and business. A sugar cane plantation and it was so interesting to learn about the slaves.
I thought these banana trees were so neat.
Zac and I after the tour had ended. He did amazing.
I loved seeing the southern homes in the arts and garden district. We took the streetcar trolley through town and got to see all the mansions along the way. Beautiful homes!
Kev and I took the City/Katrina tour and it was amazing to hear all the history of the city. This was at one of their cemetaries we stopped at.
It was neat to hear how they use to do above ground burials. Some of these gravestones went back to the 1700's and were family plots. They all get cremated and share a burial space. So interesting!
This park is bigger than Central Park. It is huge and has so much to do! I wish I would have been able to stay and explore it longer.
Another picture of the City Park. We stopped and got some praline and cream ice cream. There was also a wedding taking place here.
This house is so cool. We met the owner while we were stopping to take a picture. She has lived here for 30 years, super nice. Loved the decorations.
Zac is a ladies man! I swear he was the only baby in all of New Orleans while we were there. Everyone wanted to say hi and ohh and ahh at him. I am fairly certain that not many babies are brought to the big easy.
The most photographed cathedral.
And our last dinner while in town, delicous food while listening to some great jazz music. Very appropiate setting for where we were.
Other things we loved but I didn't photograph, the French cafe where we had beignets (french powdered donuts). I loved them, so yummy! Cafe Oliver where we had the best pecan pie. Oh so scrumptious! The superdome where the Saints play. Everywhere you look there is Saints merchandise. We went down to the lower ninth ward and saw the devastaion of Hurricane Katrina. Six years later and they are still re-building and trying to overcome that catastophy. It was amazing to see the history and culture of this city. It is also said to be the most haunted city in America, full of ghost stories and legends. And of course all that jazz! As they say in the big easy, let the good times roll...and we did! It was a great trip. Hope to go back someday.
Sunday, October 9, 2011
The Big Easy!
Posted by Stephanie at 11:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










7 comments:
Oh I love it!!! I'm so glad you got to go with Kev and have some fun!!! Looks like you had tons of fun! You're a beauty, by the way!! :)
Looks Luke you guys had such a great time! It lOoks beautiful there! And what a fun trip for just the three of you :)
What a fun trip! That is so fun you got to go with Kev and leave the twinners home. Zac is an angel baby and you look beautiful in every single picture! I miss you Steph and miss your cute family.
Baby Zac is America's sweetheart!
Looks like you had fun..Brandon and I are going to New Orleans the end of November, I am really excited.
FUN!! I've always wanted to go there! I'm so glad you and Kev were able to have some fun together and that Zac was such a great sport! You are gorgeous, Steph!
What a fun trip! It sounds like little Zac is a future traveler! How fun for you guys to get away and see some cool stuff. I bet Kev loved the company.
Post a Comment