Oh, I have so many posts to catch up on and yet I don't seem to have the energy to do it once I get the kids in bed. Lack of energy plus lack of motivation equals lack of posts.
Anyway, so nearly a month ago now we went ahead and had the procedure done on Zac to help his breathing. His epiglottis was floppy causing his airway to be covered which resulted in his loud, noisy, squeaky breathing. We were hoping that he could grow out of this which most babies do, but my little guy was just working so hard to breathe. His acid reflux was bad which just caused everything to be worse. We felt like he wasn't really thriving more like getting by.
I talked to our ENT and of course he heard him again on the phone and we just decided that the benefits outweighed the risks and we would do the surgery. It just so happened that he had operating time that Friday morning and so two days later we took our Zac in for surgery. The surgery went really well. They went down his throat and made two cuts on each side of the epiglottis where the extra tissue was. So there was no incision, which was nice. It was quick and quite simple. Zac of course didn't feel anything as he was out.
The hardest part was afterward seeing him on a breathing tube. They had to restraint his arms so he wouldn't pull the tube out. They mostly just kept him comfortable for the rest of the day and we couldn't even hear him if he did cry because of the tube.
Kevin and I just stayed with him while recovering in the ICU. We were in the exact same room as we had been back in February. Then at three in the morning they took the tube out and at about 7 in the morning Kevin fed him a bottle which he drank so fast. Within 24 hours of his surgery he was doing great. I fed him again later in the morning and he did awesome. They took all the tubes and monitors off of him and he continued to do well. So when we saw our ENT at 1 in the afternoon I asked him if we could go home and he said yes! Yay!
So it was an only one night hospital stay and Zac was doing great. And the best part was Zac was so so quiet! The ENT had said he may sound worse the first day because of the swelling but seriously he sounded awesome! We were so happy! Kev thinks he smiles and coos so much more now. His chest isn't contracting like it use to, he isn't having to use all his energy to breathe. Our ENT fixed our little guy! Well, he still has a little noise, but now he has a much better chance of growing out of it. Yay!
I never felt nervous once we decided to do the procedure. Kevin and I had been praying for a direction as to whether or not we should do it or not. And I really feel like we were guided and were able to make the correct decision for our son. I have a strong testimony of prayer and I know we will get answers, He is just waiting for us to ask. We feel so blessed to have Zac in our lives and the opportunity to be his parents.
Zac is such a sweetie. It is so fun to see him smile and hear him laugh. He has brought such joy to our home already.
I just love my little boy! He has my heart!
Friday, May 20, 2011
My sweet Zac
Posted by Stephanie at 10:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










5 comments:
I'm so happy to hear that things are better for him and all of you! Such a hard thing to go through. He looks like such a sweet and pleasant little guy! Prayer is amazing, isn't it?
I'm so glad he he doing well. yay. And he is such a sweet lil guy. Too cute.
He is so sweet, Steph!! I'm so glad all went so well. And prayer really is amazing. I always wonder how people live without it. Some days I seriously feel like I'm praying all day long. Love you guys!!
Oh...that is such a scary decision to make on your baby, I'm SO glad everything went okay with the surgery and he is doing better:) He is such a cute little guy! He is getting so big. I can't wait to hopefully see you guys soon! We miss you.
So good to hear that things are going so well with little Zac. What a beautiful little boy!
Post a Comment